Sunday, March 10, 2013

Revisiting Reckoning: How Kingdoms of Amalur got the single-player MMORPG right

This is a weekly column from freelancer Rowan Kaiser, which focuses on "Western" role-playing games: their stories, their histories, their mechanics, their insanity, and their inanity.

Revisiting Reckoning How Kingdoms of Amalur gets the singleplayer MMORPG right
Recently, I decided to play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in remembrance of its one-year anniversary this past February, knowing I'd have to contend with two things that dominated discussion about the game: the politics and failures behind the 38 Studios disaster and dealing with a game I had been warned was filled with fantasy nonsense names and detailed lore - a model of storytelling I find quite annoying. But when I finally played Reckoning, I was surprised to learn how much I enjoyed it. I had an instant gut reaction to the game's beauty. It reminded me of the best times I'd spent in massively multiplayer role-playing games, and that was totally unexpected.

My first character in World of Warcraft, the MMORPG that consumed most of my time with the genre, was a Night Elf starting on the island of Teldrassil. What I remember of that first character's journey wasn't tied to game mechanics, player interaction or even narrative, it was the feel of that starting zone. I remember the lush setting, trees with a slightly exotic, magical tinge, luxurious purples and greens, the seemingly perpetual twilight, the hints of corruption and danger, and the music hinting at all of those things and the history of the Night Elves. Indeed, most of my best experiences while playing WoW solo took place in those verdant, corrupted provinces, with Feralas probably my favorite of the old world.

I didn't expect to ever have the same feeling again, but Reckoning delivered.

Continue reading Revisiting Reckoning: How Kingdoms of Amalur got the single-player MMORPG right

JoystiqRevisiting Reckoning: How Kingdoms of Amalur got the single-player MMORPG right originally appeared on Joystiq on Fri, 08 Mar 2013 16:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment