Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Kickstarter developer in the final seconds of his campaign: 'It's so bad'

When a Kickstarter campaign enters its final seconds, the page begins counting down in real-time. The widget that normally reads out the number of days remaining for a project switches over to read out seconds, starting with 100, 99, 98, 97 ....

"Two minutes to go," says Steve Swink, the creator of Scale, over a Skype video call. "I just want balloons to come down - oh. It transferred to a second count. It's counting down 100 seconds. That's weird."

Swink started the Kickstarter campaign for Scale on October 17 from his house in Tempe, Arizona. He watched the project's final seconds tick down on November 16 from an exchange house outside of Stockholm, Sweden, where he and his fiancee, Gravity Ghost developer Erin Robinson, were staying to teach a three-week college course on game development. Though he'd just spent more than 20 hours traveling across the world, Swink stayed awake to watch his Kickstarter page, pointless as that was.

"I've been up for like 30 hours, I think," Swink said, with 15 minutes to go on the Scale Kickstarter. "It's pretty gnarly. Actually, I feel happy. I just have the Jurassic Park theme running in the back of my head the whole time. I'm happy. I'm good; I'm feeling a lot more relaxed. There's not really anything I can do at this point. It's like Pinewood derby - I feel like I got my car all ready and everything, I sanded it down, and I just pushed it down the hill a while ago. I've kind of just been blowing at it and I don't think it's doing anything."

Scale is a puzzle exploration game starring a genius ex-con with a gun that can shrink and grow everything, featuring Ashly Burch of Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?, Sarah Elmaleh of Gone Home, and music from FTL's Ben Prunty and Super Meat Boy's Danny Baranowsky. It ended up raising $108,020 of a requested $87,000, so whatever Swink did (or didn't) do seemed to have worked.

Continue reading A Kickstarter developer in the final seconds of his campaign: 'It's so bad'

JoystiqA Kickstarter developer in the final seconds of his campaign: 'It's so bad' originally appeared on Joystiq on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment