Thursday, June 6, 2013

Animal Crossing New Leaf review: Beardo's lament

Animal Crossing New Leaf review Beardo's lament
I've developed a hatred for Beardo, a blue bear with a mustache and sideburns that built his house right next to mine in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. I had plans to surround my mansion-to-be with flower beds. While the line of cherry trees I planted set me apart from Beardo, it wasn't good enough. Even as the mayor of the town of Hayward, a title granted to me by mistake because I stepped off the train alone after the game's brief introduction, my power was limited. Sure, I could mosey over to the town hall to complain about how Beardo dresses or talks, which I did, but he only assured me he'll clean up his act. I couldn't just kick Beardo to the curb.

As mayor, it's my responsibility to make the town sparkle with new public works projects. Beardo didn't fund the yellow bench or the fountain it sits in front of - I did. He didn't plant the assorted trees, build a campsite or a police station. While I'm paying for prime tourist attractions, Beardo is lumbering around town with a watering can, flooding the flowers I already watered.

One Saturday afternoon, the town's citizens competed in a sea bass fishing derby. I devoted hours to luring in dozens of fish, and was determined to win a sweet gold trophy for the center of the main room of my house. I came in second, and you better believe I was bitter when Beardo stood above me on the winner's podium, holding the first place trophy that was meant for me. I then abandoned my duties as mayor to dig holes around his house, plant trees in front of his doorway, send him vulgar letters and shove him around until he stormed off in anger. It may be my job to make Hayward heaven for its citizens, but it became my personal mission to make it hell for Beardo.

Continue reading Animal Crossing New Leaf review: Beardo's lament

JoystiqAnimal Crossing New Leaf review: Beardo's lament originally appeared on Joystiq on Tue, 04 Jun 2013 12:20:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment